Monday, August 6, 2007

Oprah and Bonbons

I quit my job last Monday. It's taken a week to get used to that fact. I worked part-time at a yarn shop in the next town over. It took about a year for me to get thoroughly fed up with the job to the point where I wanted to quit. God love my husband and kids for putting up with me and my cranky self all this time. I realize now that I'm free of that place just how cranky I had been. How could I be cranky working in a yarn shop? Doesn't make sense, I know. This particular shop is not your average shop. If you work there, you don't knit there. If you have time to knit, then the business isn't doing well. Or so the management says. Customers aren't encouraged to sit and knit. They don't spend money when they do that. I wasn't allowed to help customers with knitting questions if they brought in yarn they bought from somewhere else. Ok, understandable to a point. But when no one has been in the shop all day and someone comes in needing some help, doesn't it make sense that you would help them in hopes of gaining a customer? I don't know. That shop is all about making the money. Not about yarn, or knitting, or customers. And the things I had to "keep to myself". You'd have thought it was a matter of national security. It's friggin' yarn! There were many other things that made me cranky that I cannot get into here. Did I do the right thing by quitting? Hell yeah. I haven't complained about anything in a week. I don't feel like the life is being sucked out of me anymore. I'm happy.

*The Oprah and bonbons referance has to do with what my husband used to tease me about before I went back to work. I was/am a stay-at-home mom and he would tease me that all I did all day was watch Oprah and eat bonbons. He was kidding! It was his way of saying "I know how much you do during the day and I appreciate it".

2 comments:

  1. Well, that yarn shop doesn't sound like an especially fun one! Have fun kicking back and eating that bonbons and watching Oprah! Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at a similar store in MA for 2.5 years until my pregnancy was an inconvenience and I couldn't take the hostility about that and the owner's power struggle. Please email me privately to let me know the name of the store. I'm dying to know!

    Enjoy your retirement! ;-)

    ReplyDelete